Pitt County Nc School Uniform Policy Essay
Student Dress Code and Appearance Policy
Student Dress Code and Appearance Policy Summary
Effective August 28, 2017
NOTE: Items in BOLD in the following summary have been added for clarification to points within the Student Dress Code and Appearance Policy:
Shirts and Tops:
- Must have a collar and be any solid color. Must also include sleeves.
- With the exception of small brand/manufacturer’s logos/labels, shirts/tops may not contain insignias, logos, labels, graphics, embroidery, words or pictures ("monograms" are not permitted).
- Must be appropriately sized and long enough to cover the midriff, chest and back of the body when sitting and standing.
Bottoms (Jumpers, Pants - including Jeans, Yoga Pants & Leggings, Capris, Shorts, Skorts and Skirts) and Dresses:
- Must be solid khaki, black or navy in color, with the exception of dresses which may be any solid color.
- Must be of sufficient length. May not be above the student’s fingertips when the student’s arms are relaxed at his/her sides.
- Denim bottoms must be solid khaki, black, or navy ("blue jeans" are permitted) and contain no holes or cuts.
- With the exception of small brand/manufacturer’s logos/labels, bottoms and dresses may not contain insignias, logos, labels, graphics, embroidery, words or pictures.
- Must be appropriately sized. No baggy or sagging pants or shorts are allowed. No “low rise” clothing is allowed. Pants and shorts must be worn with the waistband at or above the hipbone.
- Dresses must have a collar and sleeves.
- Footed tights may be worn under pants, capris, shorts, skorts, skirts, dresses or jumpers. No fishnet stockings allowed.
- If belts are worn, they must not be oversized and must be buckled.
- Must be worn at all times. Must conform to requirements for specific classes or activities as necessary such as PE, JROTC, science labs, etc. No bedroom slippers allowed. If shoes have laces, must be laced and tied.
- Solid colored sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, coats, hoodies and vests may be worn over school attire. With the exception of small brand/manufacturer’s logos/labels, outerwear may not contain insignias, logos, labels, graphics, embroidery, words or pictures.
- Hoodies and hooded jackets may not have the hood covering the head while in the school building. Violation may result in not being allowed to wear a hoodie at school.
Spirit Wear and School Club Wear:
- Principals, at their discretion, will have the authority to approve school spirit wear and school club wear to be worn on any school day. This includes t-shirts, sweatshirts, fleece jackets, and hoodies.
Other Clothing Items or Accessories:
- Clothing must be worn as intended.
- Undergarments may not be visible at any time. No see-through or mesh clothing permitted.
- Gang-related clothing or accessories are not permitted.
- Headwear, sunglasses and bandanas are not permitted.
- Solid color, patterned or striped ties may be worn.
Noncompliance with this policy is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and will be subject to the consequences therein. See full policy 4316 for details on religious or medical waivers, special activity accommodations, and principal exceptions.
The following ling directs to Pitt County School's Student Dress Code and Appearance Policy Summary.
Dress Code (PCS Policy 4316)
The dress code and appearance of students has a significant effect upon conduct and behavior while at school. The purpose of the Pitt Academy Transition Center dress code is to help maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning and free of distractions. Program administration and staff reserve the right to deem student attire inappropriate. If dress is inappropriate, the student will remove the inappropriate attire for the remainder of the school day or a parent will be contacted to bring appropriate attire to the student. Students who refuse to follow the dress code may be suspended from school. PATC’s dress code requires full shoes, no slides, bedroom slippers, flip flops or sandals are permitted for students. Pitt Academy Transition Center also does not permit the color red to be worn anywhere on the student's clothing or shoes. Pitt Academy Transition Center continues to not allow hoodies and jackets to be worn in the building, for cargo pants/shorts to be worn or holes in any clothing.