Great Gatsby Essay Answers
1. What does the narrator, Nick Carraway, reveal in the first chapter about how he judges other people?
The narrator reserves all his judgment of others, following his father’s advice that not everyone has had the narrator’s advantages.
2. Where did Nick Carraway attend college and what profession does he plan to pursue?
Nick Carraway graduates from Yale and plans to study the bond business.
3. Where does Nick Carraway move to when he finds a job in his chosen profession?
Nick Carraway moves to West Egg on Long Island Sound, New York.
4. How does Nick Carraway know Daisy and Tom Buchanan?
Nick Carraway knows Tom Buchanan from college where Tom was a star football player. Daisy Buchanan is Nick’s cousin.
5. What are Tom’s views on minority races?
Tom believes that the whites are the dominant race and have to keep colored people in their place.
(read all 60 Short Essay Questions and Answers)
|This section contains 2,200 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)
View a FREE sample
Answers about The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3327 WordsFeb 18th, 201813 Pages
The Great Gatsby takes place during the summer of 1922.
2) In his new community, Nick Carroway lives in the proximity of millionaires. He is engaged in the bond business and often visits his cousin Daisy, despite his lack of friendship with Tom. He lives comfortably in a small house he had rented next to Gatsby. Despite his father’s advice, he attaches negative personality traits to each person he meets.
3) Indications of the state of Tom and Daisy’s marriage are the conversations between the two and Jordan Baker’s gossip. When the married couple converse, they interrupt each other’s sentences and Daisy constantly calls Tom a “Hulkling”, a term he considers derogative. After their conversation, Jordan Baker states that she believes everyone knows that Tom has a secret mistress. It is inferred Daisy is aware of this because of her persistence to oppose Tom with derogatory remarks and snappy interruptions and complaints about her husband’s previous behaviour to Nick.
4) Nick’s philosophy is to reserve judgement and to be tolerant of others’ behaviour. He reads books on banking, credit, and investment securities to aid his career of being a bondsman.
5) I believe Tom’s depressed mental state is due to belief that the “lesser races” will rise up to take down his “Aryan” race. He is worried because his…