Unpunctuality Essay Format
"Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.”Quentin (p.230)
Paper Towns is a novel about imagining people complexly. For much of Quentin's childhood and adolescence, he has admired Margo from afar. A one-dimensional, skewed version of her true character. In doing so, Margo ceases to be Margo. She becomes a product of Quentin's imagination, a mirage of the real thing.
Quentin later realizes the treacherous nature of this, and he is able to see Margo as her true self: an uncertain, lost girl. Everyone, he finds, sees a slightly different side of Margo, though none truly depict her actual self. He imagines each of Margo's different "reflections" as if looking into a funhouse mirror: a reflection for her parents, for Quentin, for her friends, and so on.
"That’s always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people would want to be around someone because they’re pretty. It’s like picking your breakfast cereals based on colour instead of taste."Margo (p.41)
This quote is ironic for two reasons. One, it describes the superficiality of Quentin's love for Margo. He knows little of her personality, but what he sees on the outside -- what she falsely projects -- is what he falls in love with. He falls in love with color rather than taste, looks rather than depth.
Secondly, Margo is the one who says this, yet she cannot stop herself from projecting a one- dimensional image of herself to others. Her relationships are shallow and meaningless; even her boyfriend, Jase, knows next to nothing about her. Her first instinct is to create different personas which is what she hypocritically advises against others doing.
"I liked routine. I liked being bored. I didn’t want to, but I did."Quentin (p.26)
Herein lie the fundamental differences between Margo and Quentin.
Quentin is a person of routine. Pretty much his whole life consists of the same patterns: school, home, thinking about Margo, romanticizing Margo. Margo infiltrates just about every one of his waking thoughts. The act of loving Margo becomes less about Margo herself, but the comfort in the routine of it -- the thought that he has something to fall back on, a place where his thoughts can always return.
Margo, contrariwise, needs to fill her time for fear of allowing herself a moment to think. While Quentin exerts all of his energy and time into loving one person, Margo cannot bring herself to truly need anyone. This impulsivity and often-selfish behavior hurts others in the process, preventing anyone from becoming truly close. Her reaction is to hold others at arm's length, while Quentin's is to cling almost obsessively.
"It’s a paper town…all those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm…Everyone demented with the mania of owning things…I’ve lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters."Margo (p.63)
Margo has a pretty cynical perception of propriety and how it motivates people. With a hint of condescension, she points out the flaws of society, the shallow nature of suburbia.
Her tendency to find fault in others prevents her from looking at herself, at the one-dimensional "paper" figure she has become. While Quentin once finds this sentiment wise, he later realizes that Margo surrounds herself with wit and cynicism as a shield. That the faults picks out in others are truly ones she sees in herself.
"I like the clues more than you."Radar (p.327)
Radar, whose nickname implies his ability to detect people's true selves, is the first person to see Margo in an honest light. The thrill of the chase, the ambiguity and the mystique, becomes more enticing than the girl behind it all. Radar's brutal honesty is what Quentin chose to ignore all along, when in reality his perceptions of Margo were the most accurate.
"I'm a big believer in random capitalization. The rules of capitalization are so unfair to words in the middle."Margo (p.32)
Margo is someone who wants to assert herself as different. While others mostly describe her eccentric beauty, she attempts to assert this to herself and others through eccentric use of writing - an intelligent and even poetic way to be different. Furthermore, Margo attempts to wield this differentness for certain kind of equality - though not a common or necessarily practical cause, Margo is stretching her wings of social activism.
“Did you know that for pretty much the entire history of the human species, the average life span was less than thirty years? You could count on ten years or so of real adulthood, right? There was no planning for retirement, There was no planning for a career. There was no planning. No time for plannning. No time for a future. But then the life spans started getting longer, and people started having more and more future. And now life has become the future. Every moment of your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college.”Margo (p.33)
Like Quentin makes up a present for Margo that isn't really based on her but on his wishes, expectations, and perception of her, Margo creates a false history of humanity that fits with her cynical view of the world. The average lifespan in the world was 30 in the Paleolithic age, Classical Rome, and all the way up past 1900s. This is a massive amount of time for Margo to understand or make statements based off. Furthermore, calculations of life span are unduly biased by infant mortality, and other calculations of life expectancy often omit infant mortality and become much higher (meaning people died on average in their 40s, 50s, and even 60s as early as Classical Rome). Margo's quote, though convincing, is therefor based on her own views of life planning as a negative effect of modernity, not on fact.
“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.”Quentin (p.257)
The car game that Quentin and Radar play called "That Guy is a Gigolo" is a classic example of sonder. ‘Sonder’ was a word made up by John Koenig for The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, a compendium of invented words with the aim to fill a hole in language. Sonder's definition, as Koenig describes it, is "the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground"(dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com). Likewise, Quentin thinks this quote while looking at the people passing in cars, attempting to imagine their lives. Quentin and Radar collectively realize that while the game is fun, it really reflects what they want to see, even what is most entertaining to see, rather than what's real. This realization parallels Quentin's attempts to understand Margo, though still unable to truly comprehend her humanity.
“You know your problem, Quentin? You keep expecting people not to be themselves. I mean, I could hate you for being massively unpunctual and for never being interested in anything other than Margo Roth Spiegelman, and for, like, never asking me about how it's going with my girlfriend - but I don't give a shit, man, because you're you. My parents have a shit ton of black Santas, but that's okay. They're them. I'm too obsessed with a reference website to answer my phone sometimes when my friends call, or my girlfriend. That's okay, too. That's me. You like me anyway. And I like you. You're funny, and you're smart, and you may show up late, but you always show up eventually.”Radar (p.195)
Again, Radar's name implies his ability to pick up cues about people and thinks accurately. In this quote, he zeroes in on one of Quentin's crucial flaws - wanting people to be the way he imagines them rather than the way they are. This is Quentin's problem with Margo as well, and he recognizes this to some extent, but Radar helps the reader to see that it is paralleled in his relationship with Ben.
"I know it's impossible for you to see peers this way, but when you're older you start to see them - the bad kids and the good kids - as people. They're just people, who deserve to be cared for. Varying degrees of sick, varying degrees of neurotic, varying degrees of self-actualized."Quentin's mom (p.198)
Green, as an adult and a parent himself, wishes to impart this message directly to the young adult reader. As demonstrated by the book's beginning with early childhood and the book's overall theme of coming of age, Green puts emphasis on a reading of the book and the book's characters as children learning and struggling with how to be good, intelligent people.
Let’s face the truth - not all students are good at writing. This becomes problematic even about children who write essays and other assignments at school, but when the time comes to go to college, the problem gets more important. Why so? Schools urge much simpler writing; colleges and universities require more serious work and research. Writing in school and college is different.
ORDER MY ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY
Essays can be of various kinds, mostly descriptive, argumentative, expository, or persuasive. This article provides valuable assistance by sharing our easy argumentative essay topics for college students. Why is it valuable? You can use our list of ideas to develop your own argumentative topics, use this information, making a high-quality paper on one of best argumentative essay topics we suggest. Experts of our service have developed this content to give you inspiration and help find a proper subject of your assignment, be it some social discipline, life sciences, social media research, education, or public health. Take your time to view our recommendations. They will become a handy how-to guide boosting your writing skills, increasing your academic performance.
Definition of Argumentative Essay
Following the definition of OWL Purdue, an authoritative writing source with much guidance and advice, argumentative essays represent a special genre of writing requiring thorough investigation of argumentative topic, evidence collection, and evaluation, developing a viewpoint and proving it concisely. Some students confuse argumentative essays with expository writing assignments. They are different in terms of research depth. An argumentative essay type and its topics require much more effort and preliminary research; expository writing may involve much less thereof.
No matter the topic that you are exploring in your argumentative essay, following principles of the structure should be maintained to get a decent degree.
- Develop a strong thesis statement. Make it concise and clear, narrowly focused and associated with your assignment topic; it should be logically connected to all content in your essay body.
- Take care of smooth, cohesive flow of information. Most importantly, transitions should be present between essay’s three major parts – introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Provide sufficient evidence to support your viewpoint. Just saying that something or somebody is valid is not enough; an argument won’t be accepted by your audience. You should convince readers in your rightness, which is the main premise of essay’s successful completion of its purpose.
- Get the most from your conclusion. Most sources recommend simply restating thesis and major ideas voiced in the text, but we want you to go further by rereading the thesis in light of provided evidence. Such approach will show that you have really worked closely with your sources and facts, and have grown in terms of deeper understanding of the subject by the end of work on argumentative topic.
Argumentative Essay Writing Steps
Each school, college, or university assignment should pass some stages before it is complete; most works of essay length follow the same procedure. Phases your argumentative essay should cover before submission to supervisor are as follows.
- Make sure you understand argumentative topic correctly and can narrow it down to workable thesis statement.
- Conduct preliminary research online or at the library to see what’s actual and topical; this will help you to stick to a really interesting, original topic.
- Develop thesis statement to defend throughout entire essay.
- Formulate 3-5 major arguments logically flowing from the thesis statement to construct paper’s body, organize them by significance.
- Find authoritative sources to support each argument and develop paragraphs.
- Check whether your introduction corresponds to content of body paragraphs and topic sentences tie logically to thesis statement.
- All is ready - it’s high time to compose a conclusion. Restate main ideas, remind readers about initial purpose and message of work, and make references to a broader context of researched issue based on provided evidence.
- Complete a well-formatted, correct reference list of your paper.
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
By following the procedure and tips we have discussed above, you can really move forward smoothly and achieve great outcomes that your supervisor will appreciate. After mechanics got clear, what about topic selection? This is many students’ stumbling block, hard to overcome and taking too much working time. We are here to help! Look though the following list of easy argumentative essay topics for college students on a variety of disciplines. Choose one of best argumentative essay topics you like most, and to compose a striking A+ grade paper on it.
ORDER PAPER FROM EXPERT WRITERS
- Parenting is not as easy as many people think.
- Nature-born leaders are very skilled in establishing relationships and influencing change - they can motivate people to achieve new complicated goals.
- Women soldiers are more prone to PTSD development.
- High taxes cause an excessive psychological burden on family providers.
- The majority of homeless veterans in the USA and Canada are those with mental disorders, which requires a conceptually different approach to handling veteran health.
- Injuries have a psychological impact on victims.
- Stress at work is underestimated in terms of its long-lasting negative impact on individuals’ psychological health.
- Generation Xers are hardly subject to training.
- Parental incarceration plays a far-reaching role in children’s lives and affects them adversely.
- Arts should be taught at school starting from primary grades to develop students as holistic personalities with an aesthetic taste.
- Online learning is not better than traditional learning in classroom; its major benefit is only in accessibility - students cannot communicate with tutor face-to-face.
- Religion is instrumental in child upraising.
- Parental engagement in teaching children reading should be more intense.
- Intense use of social media by teenagers harms their academic progress; describe the consequences, methods to avoid them.
- Transgender children still experience challenges at schools.
- Social stories are an effective educational tool for autistic children.
- Climate change should be in the focus of sustainable practices in IT sector; IT companies leave a large environmental footprint.
- Emotional intelligence training should be incorporated into both teacher training and curriculum.
- Technology developments affect Indigenous peoples adversely.
- Technological advancements leave a trace on business administration patterns, and business administration of the 21st century is not the one it used to be several decades ago.
- Cyber-security skills are mandatory in the 21st century.
- Technology is an excellent PR tool to restore celebrities’ reputation.
Health and Medicine
- Dieting has become tremendously popular nowadays and many well-known truths about healthy nutrition are now marketed as secrets of perfect body.
- Population does not benefit from medications’ advertising, which leads only to greater revenues of pharmaceutical companies without improving the general public health.
- Canadian healthcare system is better than American.
- Family genetics and health history affect a person’s health more than upbringing and environment.
- Counter to common prejudice against fats, they are vital nutrients in a healthy diet and should be included into the menu of people on a diet.
- America needs new health and safety policies.
- Medical marijuana should be legalized across the USA.
- Immigrants find it hard to get highly-qualified jobs in countries of their destination, even despite holding higher diploma degrees.
- Young patients have priority in organ allocation.
- Human brain leads people to believe false truths.
- Postpartum depression is a grave disorder that is mostly neglected and undiagnosed, leaving a heavy trace on women’s psychological health.
- Turkey is not interested in joining the EU anymore.
- The Saudi-US partnership is not solely economic; it may numerous regional political implications.
- Increasing participation of voters in the US is possible only through a fundamental voting reform.
- Saudi women should be allowed to drive.
- Impact of global warming has transferred from the environmental domain to politics.
- Quick growth of Muslim population in the USA produces a negative psychological effect on population.
- Global governance associations do not influence states.
Feel free to use these argumentative essay ideas in any assignments, as they are bulletproof guarantees of a decent grade.
ASK FOR HELP
Additional Argumentative Essay Ideas
What else to do to make an essay outstanding? Here are some more tips on enhancing the skill and giving you some new tools to succeed in studies:
- Search examples of argumentative essays online. It is better to search among samples on argumentative topic closely related to yours; they will be more informative in terms of structure, content and argument presentation.
- Ask your tutor for clarification on any point that you don’t understand. There’s nothing scary about asking for help or answers. Not doing so poses you under the risk of failing a grade; imagine a situation – you misunderstand the task, formulate wrong argumentative topic, find wrong sources, and as a result – write the wrong paper. Your tutor won’t be happy to see such an assignment, and that will reflect on your grade.
- Scan both the Internet and library. Web is now full of excellent, high-quality materials to use in assignments, but library sources weigh much more in importance – tutors like them. Incorporating library materials into a paper shows that you spent time and effort on the essay. The reward will be a high grade.
- Stress importance of formulating the standpoint that you will prove in the body of an argumentative essay; depending on its quality, overall impression of your paper will form. If argument is too obvious, broad, or narrow, paper’s success is under question. Normal, consistent argumentation can be constructed only based on a concise, narrow, and debatable viewpoint. It will, in turn, be supported by your evidence from authoritative sources, and all in all the paper will sound convincing in such a way.
- Don’t forget to cite all evidence and sources you used. It is ethically vital, as not giving credit to sources you used poses you under the risk of plagiarism accusations, which is always not good and may even result in suspension. Respect others’ ideas and work; you would also not be happy to see someone else giving parts of your work in their essay without indicating you as an original source.
Need Help with Argumentative Essays?
Sometimes you complete an essay without trouble; at other moments, you are stuck searching a great idea, topic and not finding any. What can you do then? It’s necessary to submit papers on time and in compliance with all supervisor instructions; studies are no games, and real world is harsh to unpunctual students. Risk of dropout is too high, and you should not take this risk. Good news is that we have a solution. Our assistance is affordable and timely, and you can always turn to us in the times of trouble.
A wish to study well is fully understandable; we all want to get the most out of what we do at any age. Hence, don’t fall in despair about lateness or absence of ideas, as well as inability to express your point of view in coherent, cohesive writing. We got you covered up. People working in our company are men and women with a passion to writing, able to write any assignment you require. They are good at choosing an argumentative topic, writing excellent content, including original thoughts and materials into it, and making the text understandable even for a child. They can even make a video! It is normal to seek professional help in our society, so don’t worry about negative supervisor feedback or parents’ condemnation – our service is confidential and private. Choose our service and be always content with quality of writing you receive.